Check out these tips on how to get the most out of your library management system and support digital literacy throughout your school.
Libraries are on the front lines of the shift from print to digital content in schools. Just as schools and districts are rethinking how they deliver curriculum, increasing demand for digital content impacts the composition of the library collection as well. You, as librarians and media specialists, are tasked with determining the best mix of print and digital content and other resources for your schools, responding to the curriculum needs of the new state standards, and developing a cost-effective eBook acquisition strategy.
This can feel like an overwhelming task. However, you can take comfort in knowing the tool you need is already at your fingertips with your library management system. What was once merely a check-in/check-out system has become an efficient and effective way to support active student learning. Today’s library management systems place an emphasis on more than simple library collection, and include features that enhance the way students and teachers access information.
Many library management systems can be used as a one-stop shop for your students and staff by simply engaging a few features. Below are some Follett Destiny™ Library Manager® tips to help you maximize your library management system.
- Take Your Library Everywhere: Make sure resources are visible to students wherever they are – in the library, classroom, at home, anywhere. Work with your technical staff to ensure they can access Destiny on mobile devices and on the web and provide links on your district and school websites.
- Implement Individual User Accounts: Encourage teachers and students to set up individual accounts. When teachers and students log into Destiny with individualized user information, they can view information specific to them: due dates, submit holds, maintain lists, checkout eBooks, submit reviews, and more. This will allow you to support classroom and personal learning goals, and connect teachers and students to the right resources and information.
- Configure Search to Include All Databases: By setting up your subscription databases to be searched within Destiny, you can encourage increased usage of these resources. This enables students to repeatedly search against the free and purchased databases in which you have already invested.
- Set up Your Homepage: By setting up your Destiny homepage, you can publicize information about your school library as well as provide students and staff with links to additional online resources. With safe social networking features, you can rely on Destiny to help teach digital citizenship.
- Tap Into Tool Kits: Dive into the resources available within Destiny to learn more about its functionalities. From videos, quick reference guides, to lesson plans, Destiny has a litany of valuable materials to enhance student and school success.
Check out the features within your system to see how the library can support digital literacy throughout the school.
Looking for a full-service experience? Extend the reach of your school library with Follett Destiny Library Manager. Learn more today by visiting www.FollettLearning.com, or contact your Follett Team at 877.899.8550 FREE or email@example.com.